Figuring out how to fax India from the United States or other countries can be tricky unless you use an internet faxing service.
- The country code for India is ( 91 ).
- The international dialing prefix when calling from the U.S. is ( 011 ).
- Indian phone numbers are typically 10 digits (you’ll have to drop the leading zero when calling from outside of India.
- Because the distance is so far, you may have to insert pauses into the dialing sequence to allow the phone switches to keep up. Try putting a comma or a pound sign ( # ) between the country code and fax number.
To send a fax to India, format your dialing sequence like this:
011-91-[phone number in India]
Note: The telephone infrastructure in many parts of India is undergoing extensive expansion and repair. Cables are frequently cut causing service to be down. Poor connections can cause faxes to fail to go through, or to be sent only halfway.
Pro Tip: If dialing a number with noise on the line or a suspected poor connection, try lowering your baud rate (to 9600) for a more stable connection.
Area Codes for Sending a Fax to India
|Calicut||495||Kollam (Quilon)||474||Tiruchirappalli (Trichy)||431|
- More area codes in India.
How to Fax India Over the Internet
For the price of a single long-distance phone call to India, you could sign up for a several months on an internet faxing service such as Efax or myfax. These services allow you to send international faxes to India through your regular email far easier and quicker than using a machine.
Both services are used by businesses and location-independent professionals around the world and offer free 30-day trials. You could just as easily cancel if you’re not satisfied.