One month of free faxes from
eFax. No activation fee.
Get 30 days of free faxing from
Use fax to send a letter when:
- You need to send a document overseas
- Someone is difficult to get a response from on phone or email
- Speed is important
- Appearance of the document is not as important as the content
Sending a fax is little different than writing a letter other than it should be more to the point and contain little emmotion.
Suggestions for sending a professional fax
- Don’t hand write letters. Type and print them or use a fax over internet service such as Efax.com or MyFax.com.
- Never send confidential information such as social security numbers or credit card information over fax, it may lay on top the machine for a long time.
- Use a slightly larger font than normal, data loss may cause a loss in quality – choose a 12 point font for best results.
- Don’t use gaudy letterhead or oversized images, your recipient will not appreciate you wasting all of their ink for bad looking results!
- To avoid lost faxed letters, be sure to use a cover sheet with the recipient’s name if you are faxing to an office where several people share one machine.
Emotion in faxed letters:
There is none! As a general guideline, do not fax thank you notes, apologies, or anything that you wish to come across as sincere or dear to the heart.
Pointers for sending a fax:
- Keep faxes relatively brief, remember everything has to be printed on the other end expending ink and paper.
- Important graphics may come across distorted, keep this in mind when faxing blueprints or technical drawings to scale.
- If a document is important, mail the hard copy to the recipient after you send the fax so that they may have the original.
- You may want to photocopy faxed letters that have been printed from a fax machine, thermal paper does not scan well and will create a fuzzy image on the other size.
- Be sure to pay attention to which direction paper should be fed into the machine, sending a blank or all black page to someone can look incompetent.
Whenever possible, take advantage of email and internet fax software – make using the facsimile machine a last resort! It is extremely cheap to send a fax online.